Thursday, September 23, 2010

Emma Donoghue reading, TONIGHT!

Emma Donoghue, author of ROOM
Next Chapter Bookshop @7pm

Emma Donoghue's Room is an unforgettable reading experience, and we are thrilled to welcome her to Next Chapter Bookshop for this special ticketed, catered event. The book, which has been long-listed for the Man Booker Prize, tells the story of five-year-old Jack and his Ma.

Jack's entire world is the room he shares with his mother. He was born there, and has grown up there. It's where he learns, reads, eats, sleeps and plays. At night, Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. It's home to Jack, but to Ma, it's a frustrating existence that differs wildly from the life she used to have and longs for once again. (this is an edited description, please see below to learn why I did this)

Don't miss out on this incredible book and what's sure to be an unforgettable event with author Emma Donoghue.

Tickets ($5.00 each) are required for this event and include admission and light refreshments. Tickets are available now in person at Next Chapter Bookshop, by phone at (262) 241-6220, or online.

I scored an ARC (Advanced Reading Copy) of ROOM from Book Expo America earlier this year. I attended a panel where editor's were all revved up to discuss the book they were most excited to pub this year.

The editor of ROOM was so passionate about this book that at times, she was lost for words and repeated 'incredible' a lot. She gave us a quick glimpse into the world of ROOM and described the narrator as 5-year-old Jack.

I truly appreciated that she didn't divulge too much, affording me the opportunity to discover the details on my own. I gobbled it up within a few days of coming back home from the Expo. And I haven't stopped gushing about it since. It's a story of hope and fear, risk and reward. This book was so emotionally powerful for me and I'm not even a mother, so I imagine it's even more powerful for someone who has a mother/child connection.

This is the perfect book to allow to happen to you. With such a young narrator, you're forced to take bits of info as they're given. This is why I edited the description above. Because if you haven't read ROOM, you deserve to approach it with the perspective of an untainted concept of the storyline. And if you haven't read this book, I can't recommend it enough! Come out to Next Chapter and pick a copy up tonight. I'll be sitting in the front row, giddy and thrilled to have the opportunity to meet Emma. :-)

No comments: